Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Move to Seminary

(this is the beginning of a series I'm calling, Seminarians Don't Blow Stuff Up)


            My decision to attend Wesley Theological Seminary over the other schools in contention was based on a lengthy pro-con debate with myself.  Boston University School of Theology requires the GREs?  Not even applying.  Wesley will accept me immediately, with scholarship offer?  Then I guess Duke is out.  That’s how I decided.
            The only question mark in attending Wesley, located in Washington, D.C., was how big my scholarship would be.  For that, I had to visit the school and take an interview.  After my interview my family and I would get a free night-time trolley tour of the city.  Essentially, it was an almost free family vacation. 
Since I knew hardly anything about the school except its address, my parents and I were blindly following our printed directions to the school.  This was well after the invention of GPS but well before my father accepted using such technology.  Maps and printed directions are, to this day, his only form of directional compass.  So we’re driving through the city, elated that our long drive from Hudson, MA was nearly over, and after correctly navigating one of D.C.’s many multi-lane rotaries we suddenly saw a sign for Wesley Theological Seminary.  It came upon us unawares, however, and my father wasn’t able to stop and signal to turn left.  He safely decided to wait until the next entrance to the school to turn in.
Next thing we know, we’re in Maryland.  You see, Wesley’s campus consists of four buildings smooshed together around one small parking lot.  We passed the only entrance to the school.  From where I come, that was unheard of.  Even my undergraduate alma mater, though a relatively small school of 2,000 students, sprawled a few miles and five or so entrances.  My first impression of this school I had already committed to with hardly any research done was already a disaster.  Your first impression of a seminarian’s intelligence can’t be great right now, either.
Once my parents turned around and drove into the right place, they let me out but said they’d wait until I found where I needed to go.  The map they had sent me of all the campus locations I might need to know the whereabouts of made everything seem confusing.  I walked around in a circle for a bit until I realized that everything on my map was in the same building.  Who does that?  When I walked in the gathering room, I was greeted warmly with a folder full of stuff and sat down by myself, as I like to do.  Then I realized that my second impression of the school was no better.
What defined my second impression?  Looking around the room and watching everyone for a bit, I saw only one girl I thought I might be interested hitting on.  Out of about twenty.  Figuring this was representative of the school generally, this was a bad sign.  Worse, there was on particularly smooth, ruggedly handsome man engaging a bunch of the ladies all at once with funny chatter.  If I had to compete with him for the handful of women in the entire school I might be interested in, my next three years would not be very joyful.
Later that night, on the trolley tour, our driver and tour guide was an egomaniac.  Whatever he said and did was clearly intended to garner laughs.  On occasion we would stop and have some few minutes to explore nearby sites.  At one stop near the end of the tour, one prospective student came back to the bus with a minute or so to spare.  For some reason he was confused as to whether it was the right bus, so he said to the driver, “Is this the…?” and never finishing his question, the driver responded, “No, I don’t think so.  Sorry.”  The kid stood there for a second, as if he wanted to challenge the driver, but then as if he didn’t have the balls to do disagree with authority he walked off to see if any of the other trolleys were the right one.  With only a minute to do so, he didn’t return before we left and continued our tour.  The driver said, “What a quack that guy was,” as we drove off.  I didn’t see that kid again.  I did, however, hear about him.  An hour so after returning from the tour in our dorm rooms, one of the school’s representatives ran out saying one of the students had an emergency downtown. 
That story doesn’t say much about those organizing the scholarship weekend but it also doesn’t say much for me.  Why didn’t I stand up to authority and say that kid had the right bus, just not the right words to tell the tour guide so?  Honestly, I wasn’t sure I was right, since I couldn’t actually see him as he was talking to the driver.  Surely, though, I could have rushed outside to see who it was and ask him what he was looking for.  I could have. 
            Truthfully, I didn’t even know what I was looking for.  The time between “hearing the call” and applying to seminary was short, and once I was accepted I gave no thought to what I might expect there.  Clearly one thing I expected was a bigger school (Wesley did and does have quite a number of commuter students, but I didn’t know that, so it appeared small geographically and population-wise).  Beyond that?  I don’t know.  What was seminary about?  What kind of people go to seminary?  What kind of people should go to seminary?  In hindsight there are all sorts of questions I should have asked myself before moving in, if not before applying.  At the least I should have been aware of my own expectations, hopes and dreams.  What did I expect to “get” out of seminary?  If I’m honest with myself and with you, at the time all I wanted to get was the degree that would make me a pastor because obviously I’d make an awesome pastor—let’s get the ball rolling.  Even without any conceived or preconceived notions, what I found the day I finally moved in proved a major disappointment.
            Driving from eastern Massachusetts to Washington, D.C. takes anywhere from eight to ten hours, depending on traffic.  The day I moved in I made the trek myself.  That day was full of excitement because, a) as a twenty-two year old kid, it was the first major step that I took on my own; b) I was moving to D.C. for goodness sakes.  Plus, there’s always a feeling of elation when you arrive somewhere.  “Ah, we’re here!”  Next time you take a long train or plain ride, take a look around.  You’ll see tired and exhausted people who (once bags are in tow) are suddenly full of energy again.  So there I was, a proud Masshole glowing with arrival-elation and freedom from my parents.
            Then, I pick up my keys from the housing administrator, take a couple of boxes out from my car, and walk into the dorm, only to find no one there welcoming or directing anyone.  Granted, this wasn’t the only possible day students could move in, but it was such a day, it was expected students would be moving in.  No “Welcome” sign or anything.  Some doors were open.  Peek inside and a second or third-year student might blankly stare back without a wave or a hello, let alone any, “Oh, are you moving in?  Which room?  Can I help?”  Good thing I’m smart enough to figure out whether room numbers are increasing or decreasing so that I didn’t walk in the wrong direction to my room.  I forget now which room number I had.  21?  Let’s go with it. 
            As I walked down the hall, wondering if I had entered some Twilight Zone where it was move-in day but it actually wasn’t move-in day, some strange little man with no clothes on except shorts and the hairiest chest and back you’ll ever see popped out of one room, running towards another room, laughing hysterically, “I have so much hair!”  The person who lived in the room he ran out of yelled back, “Isn’t it great?”  Obviously all I could think at this moment was suppressing my dear hope that this man didn’t run into room 21 because if I let myself hope that he wouldn’t be my roommate then I’d be crushed to find out he was.  The Twilight Zone ensured that he ran into room 21. 
            Outside of the room were some sandals.  Upon reaching the room, the hairy leprechaun creature came darting back out, almost knocking me over, and instead of apologizing for his haste he instead said, “Sorry about the sandals.  They smell really bad and I didn’t want them to air out in the room.”  These were the first words anyone spoke to me that day. 
Quickly the creature realized his error because there were no other rooms for me to go to, it was a corner room, so he returned and introduced himself as my roommate.  He was also one of the two RAs.  Now I noticed, too, that he sported a full beard that hadn’t seen a trimmer in at least a year.  I was sure he should have been deported to Vermont years ago.  He had these strong brown eyes that wanted to look into and through you.  He was my roommate.  Joel.
Skipping ahead a little bit, to an annual talent show night the school hosted to welcome its new students, Joel donned a bright yellow tank top about five sizes too small, held up a picture of Jesus, and gyrated while lip-synching to the song, “Stand By Your Man.”  Watching his belly twirl around was funny, no doubt, but it simply reinforced the question I began asking that fateful move-in day: What in the hell had I gotten myself into?

God had called me to do great things.  I was special.  I knew this.  Though I first heard the call from God to be a pastor around the age of twelve, at that time I had no reference or reason for what was going on in my head so I dismissed it.  It wasn’t until I was a sophomore in college that I say I heard the call.  And when I did, despite being old and wise enough to acknowledge what was happening, I still had no reason to believe it.
The call came while sitting in worship in a small, poor looking church, having listened to a three-person choir that clearly hadn’t had any training and then listening to the sermon of a pastor who was no doubt retired.  “You can do better.  You will do better,” is what I heard.  So the guy was a bad preacher, so rural small churches need some revitalization, what could I possibly do about it?  I hated public speaking and I was no good at it.  I didn’t even like people very much.  I still don’t.  Nor was I a very faithful person.  Sure, I read a devotional once in a while but I rarely attended church worship or anything else.  I prayed at night only because I felt guilty and couldn’t sleep if I didn’t pray.  There was nothing about me that said, “Pastor,” because pastors are supposed to be holy and charismatic and I was nowhere close to either.
A year later, as I was pondering becoming a pastor and whether I could actually do it, I was sure of two things.  First, God knew I could and would do better than that crap pastor I witnessed the year before.  I mean, look at me.  Maybe I wasn’t very faithful, but I was awesome.  In a way, too, I could start making the argument that I was holy.  I didn’t drink, even though I was attending college, nor did I swear, take the Lord’s name in vain, or any of that.  I was the definition of straight-edge.  Second, I definitely did not have any pastoral gifts.  There was no escaping that fact.  Until, during the course of an introduction to political science class, I first befriended a young man with great intelligence and ambition but with some combination of mental illness that made him a target for mockery.  Again, I didn’t like people, so I didn’t much relish the idea of talking to this young man, either, but I despised how he was treated and figured he needed a friend.  Suddenly I discovered within myself at least one gift that might be useful as a pastor.  Then, through the easy-going encouragement of the professor, who required that we do short presentations throughout the semester, I said, “what the heck,” and volunteered for more presentations than I needed to.  Suddenly I discovered that I was funny and a great public speaker. 
To this day I do not quite know if I simply unleashed powers that were already within me or if God implanted new gifts in my soul.  Either way, God made his point: if he calls me to be a pastor, I’m darn well going to have the gifts to fulfill that call.  This was further confirmed when, at a campus ministry dinner, some random nun whom I had never met before and without any lead-in asked me, as we were leaving, whether I had considered being a priest.  I told her that, as a Protestant, I was considering being a pastor.  She said, “Good.  I see it all over you,” and then walked off.
From then until my arrival at seminary, God’s intervention in my life spoke volumes.  Again, I was special.  I was called to do great things.  God had chosen me and given me the gifts to do better, to revitalize churches everywhere.  Thus, whether I could have admitted it or not, I was expecting some special treatment from the school I’d attend to hone my special gifts.  After all, whichever school I attended would benefit more from my time there than I would, since I’d later become famous and they’d always get tag-along mentions whenever I made news headlines.  When I instead received “normal” treatment, as if my arrival meant absolutely nothing to everyone, and was even embarrassed by my new roommate, I felt humiliated.  Wesley can’t possibly have been a good school, let alone the right school for me.

As you’ll see, I often make Wesley Theological Seminary the butt of some of my jokes and stories, but in later young life, I have come to see that, actually, Wesley was the right school for me and my initial experiences with the school prove that. 
I needed to be humbled.  One could even say that I needed to feel humiliated.  Most of all, though, I needed affirmation.  Not affirmation of my call or my greatness—I have enough of an ego to do that on my own if I want—but affirmation of me.  Joel was and is a crazy, silly person, who firmly believes some wild ideas.  But so am I.  Maybe not quite as crazy and silly to run around shouting about my body hair or to provocatively dance half-naked serenading Jesus, but the same elements are present within me. 
As we’ll also see and have already seen, I am attracted to women.  Yet I lived a straight-edge lifestyle in which I needed to be holy at all costs.  I desperately wanted women to like me but I never acknowledged that about myself.  I created a Jekyll-Hyde persona within myself.  I went off to seminary both expecting to be the most handsome, smooth guy on campus—because obviously pastors are ugly—and also to find women who didn’t want to have any sexual activity until after marriage.  I didn’t know what I was looking for, what I wanted, who I was. 
I needed a place that would affirm me, that would give me the space to be me.  When I say I needed a place to affirm me, I mean the me that God created me to be, faults and struggles included.  I needed a place to teach me confidence in the good within myself and the sinfulness of the bad, but without merely dusting over the bad.  Maybe I am called to greatness.  Maybe I’m not.  The point is that whatever I do in life, I do it as me, not as some pretend version of myself that I think God or the world want. 
We all need that place and space.  Most of the time we haven’t thoroughly reflected on who we are, what our expectations are, what our hopes and dreams are, and so we need a community of friends and teachers who will journey with us and guide us, to open our hearts and souls to ourselves and to God.  We don’t need any longer to wear a mask for the public.  That’s exhausting.  We need a little silly and crazy so that we know what we are looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment